Originally designed as an eBook, this guide is now available as a black-and-white reprint.
Finish: A5 spiral bound book (also available in A4)
A no-nonsense guide to your new camera – learn the basics of photography and the anatomy of the powerful EOS 5D Mark IV with this 132-page introductory book.
This reference volume will be ideal if you're new to photography or are self-taught, or you originally learnt with a film camera and sometimes struggle to get the images you want with digital cameras.
Nina starts off by explaining the basic terms used within photography and then looks using the Auto+ mode to the full – this enables you to get going with the 5D Mark IV whilst learning about the more sophisticated and customisable features on your camera.
You'll be taken step-by-step through the simpler creative modes such as Program, TV and AV, so you can take more control of your digital EOS. Nina also explains some of the overrides that are commonly used within the creative modes, what they do and the basics of how they are applied.
The book finishes off by looking at the thought process you need to follow to achieve consistently strong images and looks at how things such as lighting can affect the images that you are shooting.
There are assignments at the end of each chapter to reinforce your learning and to ensure you have the grounding you need to fully understand how each feature and setting works.
Extending your EOS system
Part of the strength of the EOS system and why DSLRs remain so popular even since the advent of smartphones is the vast lens range that's available to enhance and extend your photography. Nina takes a look at why the lenses you use play such an important part in capturing your images and altering your outlook, whilst also explaining some of the terms commonly associated with lenses.
132 pages long
• Camera sensor size and lenses
• Understanding the key settings
• ISO – what it sets and when to use it
• About the high ISO settings and when they need to be used
• Understanding what the aperture does
• How the ISO, shutter speed and aperture interact
• Problem exposures and why they happen
• Understanding the Auto+ mode
• Understanding the creative modes
• Understanding the versatility of the program mode
• Understanding the basic focusing set-up
• Understanding the basic exposure overrides
• What makes successful images
• The part lenses play within photography
• Understanding lenses
• Understanding lens jargon
• The thought process we use in photography
• Understanding what light does to our images